Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Harris County 1910 Courthouse
This site has served as the courthouse square for Harris (originally Harrisburg) County since the completion of the first county courthouse, a two-story frame structure, in April 1838. Later courthouses were constructed on this site in 1851, 1860 and 1884.
The present structure, which was built in 1909-1910, served as the fifth Harris County Courthouse at this location. Designed by Charles Erwin Barglebaugh, an associate in the prominent Dallas architectural firm of Lang and Winchell, the building features classical revival styling. Outstanding details include the domed roof, ornate central projections, or risalits, with Corinthian columns, and elaborate ornamentation of terra cotta, limestone and masonry. Building materials include pink Texas granite and light brown St. Louis brick. During construction of the courthouse, county offices were housed in a nearby theater.
Shortly after a new criminal courthouse and jail facility was built east of the square in 1952, this structure was remodeled and used as the Harris County Civil Courts Building. Beginning in 2009, the county restored the exterior and interior public
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2009
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 29° 45.682′ N, 95° 21.599′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Fannin Street and Congress Street, on the right when traveling north on Fannin Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 Fannin Street, Houston TX 77002, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Houston Bar Association (within shouting distance of this marker); Pillot Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Republic Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Harris County (about 300 feet away); Sweeney, Coombs & Fredericks Building (about 300 feet away); Founding of Harris County (about 400 feet away); First White House of the Republic of TexasState National Bank Building (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
More about this marker. Although this appears to be an Official Texas Historical Marker, it is not listed in the Texas Historical Commission's Atlas. It seems that this marker replaced marker #10679, Harris County Courthouse of 1910, but with completely different text.
Regarding Harris County 1910 Courthouse. This building is in the National Register of Historic Places
Also see . . . Blog on the Restoration of the Old Courthouse. (Submitted on November 12, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 12, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 620 times since then and 32 times this year. Last updated on July 10, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on September 30, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 2. submitted on November 12, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 3. submitted on January 20, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 4, 5. submitted on September 30, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 6. submitted on November 12, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.