Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grand Junction in Mesa County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Mesa Drug/City Market

c. 1924

 
 
Mesa Drug/City Market Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 7, 2018
1. Mesa Drug/City Market Marker
Inscription.  The Prinster family opened the first City Market Store in the back of this location with a storefront facing Fourth Street in 1924. By 1940, the Prinster Brothers built western Colorado's first supermarket one block to the north of this location. Located in the front of this building was the Mesa Drug Store, which operated from 1918 to 1987.
 
Erected by Colorado Historical Society. (Marker Number 9.)
 
Location. 39° 4.047′ N, 108° 33.956′ W. Marker is in Grand Junction, Colorado, in Mesa County. Marker is on Main Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 Main Street, Grand Junction CO 81501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sampliner’s Dry Goods (within shouting distance of this marker); Bannister Furniture (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Junction News Established (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Regis Hotel (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Fair Building (about
Former Mesa Drug/City Market, now the Bistro Italiano. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 7, 2018
2. Former Mesa Drug/City Market, now the Bistro Italiano.
Marker is near center of photo.
500 feet away); Benge’s Shoe Store (about 600 feet away); Majestic/Mesa Theater (about 600 feet away); Whitman School (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Junction.
 
Regarding Mesa Drug/City Market. Some of the first floor is possibly part of an original 1890s building. Additional construction was done in 1906. The first structure housed a general store on the first floor with “furnished rooms” on the second floor. It is unknown when the second floor was demolished. Mesa Drug opened inside the structure in 1918 and remained until 1987. It was one of the last true soda fountain/lunch counter businesses in town. The current restaurant opened in the mid-1990s. The store eventually grew into a large multi-state grocery store chain.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 

More. Search the internet for Mesa Drug/City Market.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 12, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 12, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 73 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 12, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement