Colorado City in Mitchell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The First Presbyterian Church
A dug-out, floored with corn sacks and equipped with boxes for seats, housed the first formal church, organized in May with 11 charter members. W.J. Miller was installed as elder and the church was placed under control of the Texas Central Presbytery. In a few weeks, a tent was erected to accommodate church services, Sunday school and public school. P.O. Coleman, prominent doctor and educator, and J.E. Riordan, banker, were then named elders. Later, church members worshipped in the newly built school house.
The first permanent church building, located at Locust and Second Streets, was dedicated May 3, 1891. The first trustees were Dr. P.C. Coleman, W.J. Miller, William Kennedy, C.A. Arbuthnot and John Carlisle. The present church building was completed August 30, 1925, when The
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1816.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1881.
Location. 32° 23.487′ N, 100° 51.853′ W. Marker is in Colorado City, Texas, in Mitchell County. Marker is at the intersection of Chestnut Street and East 5th Street, on the right when traveling north on Chestnut Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 444 Chestnut Street, Colorado City TX 79512, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Majors Home (within shouting distance of this marker); John C. Prude Home (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old D.N. Arnett Home (about 500 feet away); Buffalo Trails (about 600 feet away); First Baptist Church of Colorado City (about 700 feet away); Dr. Preston C. Coleman (about 700 feet away); All Saints' Church (about 800 feet away); E.M. Hardigree Home (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Colorado City.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 17, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 17, 2018, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 135 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 17, 2018, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.