Safety Harbor Historical Site: Tucker Mansion
In November 1864, Virginia Bailey married Captain James Felix Tucker (1840-1913), a disabled confederate veteran of the Civil War. After the death of Colonel Bailey, Captain Tucker converted the springs into a viable commercial facility through additional construction. He increased promotional efforts of the current Safety Harbor Resort and Spa until his death in 1913. Virginia Tucker managed the springs for several years before eventually selling her interest in the springs.
The mansion was modeled after the Bailey family's Virginia plantation home, which in turn was modeled after their ancestral home in England. The mansion had a winding staircase and brass chandeliers, a parlor with sliding
In 1999, the Safety Harbor City Commission designated the property a Local Historic Landmark.
Erected by Safety Harbor Museum & Cultural Center and Safety Harbor Museum of Regional History & Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Parks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical year for this entry is 1923.
Location. 27° 59.569′ N, 82° 41.191′ W. Marker is in Safety Harbor, Florida, in Pinellas County. Marker is on North Bayshore Drive just north of Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 311 North Bayshore Drive, Safety Harbor FL 34695, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Safety Harbor Historical Event: Peace Treaty Between the Tocobaga and the Calusa (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); “The Baranoff Oak” (approx. 0.2 miles away); Safety Harbor Historical Site: St. James Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Safety Harbor Historical Site: Baranoff Oak Tree (approx. 0.2 miles away);
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 18, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,238 times since then and 480 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.