Greenhouse and Barn
This greenhouse, built in 1909 to replace a smaller one, supplied the Edison household with potted plants and cut flowers year-round. The two-story potting shed, made of Edison Portland Cement, provided work space on the first floor and gardener’s quarters on the second floor. A barn, screened by hemlock trees at far right, once sheltered cows, goats, chickens, and horses.
Under Mina Edison’s direction, the head gardener and his assistants maintained the flower gardens, a vegetable garden, and the estate’s 13½ acres of landscaped grounds. Although the garden and livestock provided some food for the Edisons, local grocers supplied most of the daily provisions, while merchants and restaurateurs from New York City furnished the delicacies for formal dinners.
Erected by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Architecture • Horticulture & Forestry. A significant historical year for this entry is 1909.
Location. 40° 47.195′ N, 74° 14.399′ W. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Llewellyn Park (a few steps from this marker); Edison’s Home, Glenmont (within shouting distance of this marker); Mina Miller Edison (within shouting distance of this marker); Glenmont (within shouting distance of this marker); The Estate Staff (within shouting distance of this marker); Garage (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Japanese Stone Lanterns (about 500 feet away); Access Granted (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Orange.
More about this marker. The bottom of the marker contains a photograph of "Glenmont’s greenhouse and gardens in 1947, the year of Mina Edison’s death."
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Take a tour of the markers at Thomas Edison's Glenmont homesite.
Also see . . . Edison National Historic Site. National Park Service. (Submitted on October 3, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 3, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 948 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 3, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.