Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Colorado City in Mitchell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Sites of Texas & Pacific Railway Depots

 
 
Sites of Texas & Pacific Railway Depots Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 12, 2017
1. Sites of Texas & Pacific Railway Depots Marker
Inscription.  Rail service to Colorado City began on April 16, 1881, when a Texas & Pacific supply train arrived with materials for the construction of a freight and passenger depot in the town. Completed the following month at the foot of Oak Street, it was similar in style and size to A T & P Station in Fort Worth. Cattle pens were constructed later to the east of the station on land donated by Aaron W. Dunn, John Wesley Mooar, W.H. Snyder, and George W. Waddell. The railroad and stockyards established Colorado City as the major shipping center and supply station for the vast ranching region of West Texas and sections of Eastern New Mexico.

W.A. Crowder came here in 1885 as the agent for the T & P Railway. During his 35 years of service, local rail traffic flourished. Trains brought the necessary manufactured products for local ranches such as barbed wire and windmills. Goods shipped from here to Eastern markets included cattle, hides, salt, ice, wool, and buffalo bones. The 1881 depot was later destroyed by fire and replaced by a new freight station in 1896. Another depot, built at the foot of Walnut Street in 1907, was used by passenger trains
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
until service to the city ended on March 22, 1967.
 
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4943.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical date for this entry is April 16, 1881.
 
Location. 32° 23.256′ N, 100° 52.074′ W. Marker is in Colorado City, Texas, in Mitchell County. Marker is on West Main Street east of Oak Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Colorado City TX 79512, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Baker Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Texas & Pacific Railway (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Founding of Colorado City (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mitchell County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Colorado Opera House (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Mitchell County (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Colorado City (approx. ¼ mile away); Dr. Preston C. Coleman (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Colorado City.
 
Sites of Texas & Pacific Railway Depots Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 12, 2017
2. Sites of Texas & Pacific Railway Depots Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 19, 2018, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 202 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 19, 2018, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=120406

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024