Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Westbrook in Mitchell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of First Westbrook School and Church

 
 
Site of First Westbrook School and Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 12, 2017
1. Site of First Westbrook School and Church Marker
Inscription.  These two pioneer institutions, which began even before a town grew up here, were first housed in the same tiny, one-room building. The structure was erected in 1890 by local settlers when Westbrook was only a flag-stop on the Texas & Pacific Line.

Located on a four-acre plot, the single classroom had rough, wooden benches and, at the front, one long "recitation bench", where pupils sat to recite their lessons from memory in typical 19th Century style. The school "year" then lasted three to six months.

On Sundays this was the site of services for the Westbrook Baptist Church, organized 1890 with nine charter members, by the Rev. J.C. Burkett, Pastor of the Colorado (City) Church. Although sermons were given only once a month, Sunday school was held each week. Parishioners, who often lived miles away, would cook and pack basket lunches Saturday and spend all day Sunday at the church. The building was a social center for the widely scattered settlers.

In 1902, as population increased, a new church was erected north of the school yard; and in 1905 the town provided a modern, two-story school building. The old
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
structure was sold to a farmer for use as a barn. Only the cemetery remains at the site today.
 
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4912.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducation. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
 
Location. 32° 20.695′ N, 101° 1.235′ W. Marker is near Westbrook, Texas, in Mitchell County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 670, 0.4 miles south of Interstate 20, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Westbrook TX 79565, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. We Will Remember (here, next to this marker); Discovery Well of the Permian Basin (approx. 2˝ miles away); Union Methodist Church (approx. 4.4 miles away); Handley Cemetery (approx. 6.8 miles away); Col-Tex Refinery (approx. 9 miles away); Sites of Texas & Pacific Railway Depots (approx. 9.4 miles away); Mitchell County (approx. 9.4 miles away); a different marker also named Mitchell County (approx. 9.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Westbrook.
 
Site of First Westbrook School and Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 12, 2017
2. Site of First Westbrook School and Church Marker
Site of First Westbrook School and Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 12, 2017
3. Site of First Westbrook School and Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 19, 2018, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 333 times since then and 101 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 19, 2018, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=120410

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024