Big Spring in Howard County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created August 21, 1876
Organized June 15, 1882
Named in honor of
Volney Erskine Howard
1809 – 1889
Came to Texas in 1844
Delegate to the First State
Member of the Texas Legislature
Member of the United States
Big Spring, the County Seat
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 15443.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 15, 1882.
Location. 32° 15.109′ N, 101° 28.605′ W. Marker is in Big Spring, Texas, in Howard County. Marker is on Main Street south of 3rd Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Big Spring TX 79720, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First National Bank in Big Spring (within shouting distance of this marker); The Seventh Earl of Aylesford Settles Hotel (about 500 feet away); A Historical Big Spring Meat Market (about 700 feet away); Big Spring Hardware Company (about 700 feet away); The J. & W. Fisher Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Potton House (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Christian Church (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Big Spring.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 20, 2018, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 94 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 20, 2018, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.