Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Odessa in Ector County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Temple Beth El

 
 
Temple Beth El Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 12, 2017
1. Temple Beth El Marker
Inscription.  By WWII about 20 Jewish families lived in the Permian Basin. They gathered for religious and social events at the Midland Bombardier Base. In 1945 they established congregation Temple Beth El, the only Synagogue within 140 miles. Built at 4th Street and West County Road in Odessa, it opened in September 1946. The sisterhood was formed and conducted Sunday school classes. The first full-time Rabbi arrived in 1952 but laymen or visiting rabbis always have led services. When membership grew to 60 families a larger location was built at Redbud and Grandview Streets in 1961. Membership totaled 112 people in 1982 and is now 75 families. The Temple affiliated with both Conservative and Reform movements after 1982.
 
Erected 1996 by Heritage of Odessa Foundation. (Marker Number 34.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1946.
 
Location. 31° 52.046′ N, 102° 20.768′ W. Marker is in Odessa, Texas, in Ector County. Marker is at the intersection of Redbud Drive and North Grandview Drive
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, on the right when traveling west on Redbud Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1501 North Grandview Avenue, Odessa TX 79761, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ector County's First Dry Hole (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sewell Ford (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site of Homestead of William C. Sublett (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Parker Family (approx. 0.9 miles away); Site of Blackshear High School (approx. 1.7 miles away); John Ben Shepperd (approx. 1.8 miles away); Ector County Newspapers (approx. 1.8 miles away); Old Buffalo Wallow (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Odessa.
 
Temple Beth El Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 12, 2017
2. Temple Beth El Marker
Temple Beth El image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 12, 2017
3. Temple Beth El
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 22, 2018, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 235 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 22, 2018, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=120590

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 20, 2024