Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wharton in Wharton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Wharton County

 
 
Wharton County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, July 21, 2018
1. Wharton County Marker
Inscription.  
Wharton County

Created April 3, 1846

From Matagorda, Jackson and Colorado
Counties, Organized same year

Named for

William H. Wharton
1806-1839

Texas minister to the
United States
1836-1837, and his brother

John A. Wharton
1809-1838

Adjutant at San Jacinto
Member of
Congress of the Republic of Texas
1837-1839

Wharton, the county seat.

 
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 5775.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 3, 1846.
 
Location. 29° 18.63′ N, 96° 6.033′ W. Marker is in Wharton, Texas, in Wharton County. Marker is on South Fulton Street south of East Milam Street (State Highway 60), on the right when traveling south. Marker is located on the east end of the courthouse grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 103 South Fulton Street, Wharton TX 77488, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of the Home of Robert McAlpin Williamson (here, next to this marker); Wharton County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Wharton County Confederate Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Judge George E. Quinan (within shouting distance of this marker); Security Bank and Trust Company (within shouting distance of this marker); City of Wharton (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Plaza Hotel and Plaza Theater (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Judge Edwin Hawes House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wharton.
 
Also see . . .  Wharton County - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on July 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.) 
 
Wharton County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, July 21, 2018
2. Wharton County Marker
Site of the Home of Robert McAlpin Williamson marker is on the left. Wharton County marker is on the right.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 172 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=120596

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024