Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Danevang in Wharton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Danevang Community Hall

(Danevang Forsamlingshus)

 
 
Danevang Community Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, July 21, 2018
1. Danevang Community Hall Marker
Inscription.  The Danish community of Danevang (Danish Field) was founded in 1894, at the height of Danish emigration to the United States. The Dansk Folkesamfund (Danish Folk Society), organized in the Midwest in 1887 to preserve Danish culture, language and religion, arranged for land for a settlement here and contacted Danes living in the northern and midwestern United States to establish a colony in Texas.

After the first colonists arrived, the society helped fund a building the community could use as a gathering place. Completed in 1895, the Danevang Community Hall (Forsamlingshus) later was donated by the society to the community, along with 45 acres of land. Until the first church building was constructed about 1908, the community hall served as both church and assembly space, and provided living quarters for the Danish Lutheran pastor on the second floor. The Danevang School, also dating to 1895, held its first classes in the building.

Over the years, additions and modifications were made to the Danevang Community Hall to accommodate the needs of the colonists. All major secular and sacred festivals were celebrated
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
here, and the building became a cultural landmark for the community. Torn from its foundation in a 1945 hurricane, the Forsamlingshus was repaired and continues to serve the community, which remained largely Danish American at the turn of the 21st century.
 
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12805.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1895.
 
Location. 29° 2.616′ N, 96° 12.204′ W. Marker is in Danevang, Texas, in Wharton County. Marker is on County Road 426, 0.3 miles east of State Highway 71, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 357 County Road 426, Danevang TX 77432, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Danevang Pioneer Monument (a few steps from this marker); Danevang Lutheran Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Ansgar Evangelical Lutheran Church and Cemetery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Danevang (approx. ¼ mile away); Clemville (approx. 5.1 miles away); Midfield Cemetery (approx. 6.7 miles away); Midfield Methodist Church (approx. 7.1 miles away); J.S. Abercrombie Mineral Company (approx. 10.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Danevang.
Danevang Community Hall image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, July 21, 2018
2. Danevang Community Hall
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 256 times since then and 94 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=120614

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024