San Bernardino in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Settlement of San Bernardino
In March 1851 Charles C. Rich and Amasa M. Lyman, apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, left Utah with 437 people "to establish a stronghold for the gathering of saints in California." Jefferson Hunt, David Seeley and Andrew Lytle were captains of organized companies. They purchased the Rancho 'de San Bernardino', selected a site for settlement, built a fort enclosing 100 homes and erected an adobe building for church and school. 1300 acres of grain were planted, grist and saw mills erected and roads made into nearby canyons. Local government was established, city incorporated and the population doubled. Before the call back to Utah by President Brigham Young in 1857, pioneers from Yerba Buena, England, and the Pacific joined the settlement.
San Bernardino County, Calif.
Daniel Porter Clark Collins Rowe Hakes
Joshua Abbott Dr. A Ainsworth Horace Martin Alexander Charles Hopkins Allen Mathew Amen Ellis Ames Simon Andrews Martin H. Anderson
Issac Grundy W.V. Hakes Joseph Hancock Ebenezer Hanks George Hanks John Harris, Sr. Moses Harris Silas Harris Francis Marion Haws William Heap Mrs. Margaret Adam Henderson Robert Henry
John D. Potter Mrs. Louisa Barnes Pratt Henry Rabel Apostle Charles Coulson Rich John Roseros J. Rebbeck Gilbert Hathaway Rolfe Samuel J. Rolfe James Henry Rollins Mrs. Liz Flake Rowan Joseph Sturgis Sawyer Captain David Seeley Justus Wellington Seeley Walter A. Shay, Sr. Carlos Shepherd Marcus Lafayette Shepherd Samuel Shepherd Hendy G. Sherwood Robert Singleton George Warren Sirrine
Erected 1964 by Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 302.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1851.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 34° 6.306′ N, 117° 17.365′ W. Marker was in San Bernardino, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker was on North Arrowhead Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 351 North Arrowhead Avenue, San Bernardino CA 92415, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. 60th Anniversary of the CCC (a few steps from this marker); To Jedediah Smith (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); California Theater (approx. 0.4 miles away); San Bernardino Santa Fe Depot (approx. 1.2 miles away); Route 66 (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Grimace (approx. 1.4 miles away); Original McDonald's Flooring (approx. 1.4 miles away); Officer Big Mac (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Bernardino.
1. Plaque Replacement Efforts
In 1965 the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers dedicated a monument on the San Bernardino County Courthouse grounds recognizing the 1851-1857 pioneers of San Bernardino County. A few years ago two of the five bronze plaques on the monument were stolen and those remaining were removed to preserve them and are stored in the courthouse.
The Daughters of the Utah Pioneers in Salt Lake City have contacted the Old Adobe Camp of the San Bernardino Company to see about restoring the monument by replacing the missing plaque. The Director of Court Facilities has agreed to move the plaques into the courthouse where they can be safe from theft.
We are in need of about $2500 in funds to pay for a replacement plaque. We are trying to reach those people who feel connected to the pioneers who founded San Bernardino and/or would be willing to contribute to the project. Any amount would be appreciated. Donations are tax deductible and checks should be made out to Daughters of the Utah Pioneers or DUP. Receipts are available on request.
Please mail your donation to:
Pres. Dianna Rounds
San Bernardino Camp, Daughters of the Utah Pioneers
35061 Willow Springs Dr.
Yucaipa, CA 92399-5937
— Submitted November 20, 2014, by Michael Kindig of Elk Grove, California.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2018. It was originally submitted on November 20, 2014, by Michael Kindig of Elk Grove, California. This page has been viewed 1,620 times since then and 146 times this year. Last updated on July 23, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 20, 2014, by Michael Kindig of Elk Grove, California. 3. submitted on July 23, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.