Site of the original home of city founder, Michael Ross. James and Carile Brown, benefactors of the local library, built their home here in 1875, which later became the residence of the Episcopal bishop and then a hospital. The building was destroyed by fire in 1919. The property is now part of Lycoming College.
Erected 2006 by City of Williamsport.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1875.
Location. 41° 14.584′ N, 76° 59.837′ W. Marker is in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, in Lycoming County. Marker is at the intersection of 3rd Street and Basin Street, on the left when traveling east on 3rd Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsport PA 17701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Main (approx. 0.2 miles away); Preachers' Aid Society (approx. 0.2 miles away); James V. Brown Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Little League • Big Legacy (approx. ¼ mile away); Market Square (approx. ¼ mile away); Fultz Quadrangle
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 86 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 23, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.