Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Olivia in Calhoun County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Olivia

 
 
Olivia Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, July 21, 2018
1. Olivia Marker
Inscription.  Established in 1892, the community of Olivia was named for Olivia Haterius, wife of the Rev. Carl J.E. Haterius, a Swedish Lutheran minister who bought land in the area and advertised a new settlement to other Swedish immigrants in the Midwest. Twelve Swedish families responded to the initial advertisement and moved to Olivia with others following in a few years By 1900 a number of non-Swedish families had settled here, as well.

The first public building in Olivia was a one-room schoolhouse where children were taught during the day and parents attended classes at night to learn English. The Eden Lutheran Church held services in the schoolhouse until 1910, when a sanctuary was built.
John Lind built the first store in the community on Carancahua Bay in 1894. The post office was housed in Lind's store and mail was delivered once a week. Lind moved his store to the center of the townsite in 1900. In 1906 Edward Wilson, another Swedish immigrant, bought the Olivia store and was appointed postmaster. Other businesses included a hotel, doctor's office, grocery store, blacksmith shop, and cotton gin. Since 1900 the thriving
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
community has changed and grown, but retains its proud Swedish heritage.
 
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3855.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1892.
 
Location. 28° 38.476′ N, 96° 27.306′ W. Marker is in Olivia, Texas, in Calhoun County. Marker is on State Highway 172, 0.3 miles south of County Road 314, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Lavaca TX 77979, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Olivia Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Site of Cox's Point (approx. 7.2 miles away); The Presbyterians and Methodists (approx. 7.7 miles away); Angelina Eberly (approx. 7.7 miles away); U.S. Army Depot (approx. 7.7 miles away); Bilingual Community (approx. 7.7 miles away); Four Wharves (approx. 7.7 miles away); Powder Horn (approx. 7.7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Olivia, TX - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on July 24, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.) 

2. Becoming American: Swedish American Family Photos 1890 to 1920. A large collection of photos, many of them taken
Olivia Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, July 21, 2018
2. Olivia Marker
in Olivia, taken by Swedish immigrants around the turn of the century. (Submitted on July 24, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 24, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 220 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 24, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=120734

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 25, 2024