Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clemville in Matagorda County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Clemville

 
 
Clemville Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, July 21, 2018
1. Clemville Marker
Inscription.  Originally part of land granted to early colonist Henry Parker, this was a rural farming and ranching area until 1908 when F.J. Hardy discovered oil and formed the Hardy Oil Company. By 1911, F.J. Clemenger had settled in the community, then known as Hardy. After Clemenger purchased Hardy's holdings and further developed oil fields in the area, the community was renamed Clemville in his honor and a post office was established in 1911. Clemville became an oil boomtown, with schools, a church, residences, hotels, a general store and machinist shops. As the economy slowed in the 1930s, Clemville's population began to dwindle. By the end of the 20th century, little physical evidence remained of the once booming oil town.
 
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12554.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1908.
 
Location. 28° 59.758′ N, 96° 8.333′ W. Marker is in Clemville, Texas, in Matagorda County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
1468 and County Road 418, on the left when traveling east on Road 1468. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bay City TX 77414, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. J.S. Abercrombie Mineral Company (approx. 5.1 miles away); Danevang Community Hall (approx. 5.1 miles away); Danevang Pioneer Monument (approx. 5.1 miles away); Danevang Lutheran Church (approx. 5.1 miles away); Ansgar Evangelical Lutheran Church and Cemetery (approx. 5.1 miles away); Danevang (approx. 5.3 miles away); Midfield Cemetery (approx. 5˝ miles away); Midfield Methodist Church (approx. 5.9 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Clemville, TX - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on July 24, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.) 
 
Clemville Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, July 21, 2018
2. Clemville Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 24, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 357 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 24, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=120739

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024