Broadfield in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Boys Estate, Georgia's town just for boys, is located one-half mile west of here, on a part of historic Elizafield Plantation. Elizafield, first the home of Dr. Robert Grant, later of his son, Hugh Fraser Grant, was one of the rich River Plantations of the early 19th century. It was cultivated intensively in rice and sugar cane, and the ruins of a large sugar mill built of tabby are still in evidence.
In 1935, Cator Woolford gave this tract to Georgia for a State Park, and in 1945 it was made available by the Legislature for the establishment of Boys Estate.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 063-22.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1935.
Location. 31° 18.502′ N, 81° 27.635′ W. Marker is in Broadfield, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on Ocean Highway (U.S. 17) north of Georgia Highway 99, on the right when Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brunswick GA 31525, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hopeton-on-the-Altamaha (within shouting distance of this marker); Needwood Baptist Church and Needwood School (approx. 2.1 miles away); The State of Georgia Salutes (approx. 2.6 miles away); Brunswick Stew (approx. 2.6 miles away); Famous Butler Authors (approx. 3.3 miles away); Butler Island Plantation (approx. 3.3 miles away); General's Island (approx. 3.9 miles away); Darien Waterfront (approx. 4.4 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on August 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 5, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,296 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 5, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.