Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Florance Street School

 
 
Florance Street School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 18, 2008
1. Florance Street School Marker
Inscription.  Florance Street School was designed by the firm Levy and Clarke and built in 1929 as one of the early public schools in Savannah built specifically for African-American students. It contributed greatly to Savannah’s Cuyler-Brownville community by offering quality education and leadership development to its students. The school’s construction was a direct result of efforts by Savannah’s African-American community in 1928 to remedy inequities in segregated schools. These efforts brought about a three-hundred-percent increase in state expenditures for black schools. Florence Street School was desegregated in 1971, along with Savannah’s other public schools, and it continued to serve as an elementary school until 1987. The building was rehabilitated as housing in 2000.
 
Erected 2002 by Georgia Historical Society, Mercy Housing SouthEast, Sisters of Mercy, St.Joseph's/Candler, and Cuyler-Brownville Neighborhood Assoc. (Marker Number 25-15.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansEducation.
Florance Street School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. Florance Street School Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1929.
 
Location. 32° 3.654′ N, 81° 6.479′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on Florance St near W 35th St, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Charity Hospital and Training School for Nurses (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Silence (approx. ¼ mile away); Sailors' Burial Ground (approx. 0.4 miles away); Laurel Grove South Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Mother Mathilda Beasley, O.S.F. (approx. half a mile away); Saint Phillips Monumental A.M.E. Church (approx. half a mile away); Lawton Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Georgia Infirmary (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 5, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,914 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on August 25, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   2. submitted on October 5, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=12088

Paid Advertisement
Jul. 27, 2021