Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Los Angeles in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Los Angeles Plaza

 
 
Los Angeles Plaza Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, July 28, 2010
1. Los Angeles Plaza Marker
Inscription.  This site was part of the lands originally granted to El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles in 1781 by the King of Spain, Carlos III, under the Spanish Law of the Indies. The first plaza of the pueblo had been located to the southeast, closer to the Rio Porciuncula (Los Angeles River). When the river flooded, the pueblo was moved to higher ground. Shortly after the dedication of the Plaza Church in December 1822, the plaza's location was changed again to the present site.
 
Erected 1950 by California Parlor No. 247 Native Daughters of the Golden West. (Marker Number 156.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Hispanic AmericansNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks, and the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1822.
 
Location. 34° 3.401′ N, 118° 14.316′ W. Marker is in Los Angeles, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker is on North Main Street south of West Cesar
Los Angeles Plaza Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, December 4, 2018
2. Los Angeles Plaza Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
East Chavez Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located at El Pueblo de Los Angeles Historic Monument. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 579 North Main Street, Los Angeles CA 90012, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Old Spanish Trail (here, next to this marker); Camero (a few steps from this marker); The Founders of El Pueblo de Los Angeles (a few steps from this marker); Christine Sterling (a few steps from this marker); First Mayor of Los Angeles Under United States Rule (a few steps from this marker); Lara (a few steps from this marker); The Original Pueblo of Los Angeles (within shouting distance of this marker); Plaza Park (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Los Angeles.
 
Regarding Los Angeles Plaza. CALIFORNIA HISTORIC LANDMARK 156. It was the center of the settlement founded by Governor Felipe de Neve. When the Plaza Church was completed in 1822, this site was reserved as a public plaza. It was landscaped in 1871 and has served since that date as a public park. SOURCE: California Historical Landmarks, California State Parks
 
Bandstand (1962) image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, July 28, 2010
3. Bandstand (1962)
King Carlos III (1759-88) image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, July 28, 2010
4. King Carlos III (1759-88)
Felipe de Neve (1728-84) image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, July 28, 2010
5. Felipe de Neve (1728-84)
Plaza Park - Birthplace of Los Angeles Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, July 28, 2010
6. Plaza Park - Birthplace of Los Angeles Marker
Center of the Pueblo's
Original Area of Four Square Leagues

Declared
Historic Cultural Monument No. 64
by the
Cultural Heritage Board
Municipal Arts Department
City of Los Angeles
DWP Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, July 28, 2010
7. DWP Marker
These ornamental tree lights are
provided through the courtesy of the
Los Angeles Department of Water and Power
Plaza del Pueblo de Los Angeles image. Click for full size.
Unknown photographer, via Wikimedia Commons, 1869
8. Plaza del Pueblo de Los Angeles
Dating from the era of the Pueblo de Los Angeles, The Plaza and "Old Plaza Church" (Mission Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles) in 1869. There is a square main brick reservoir in the middle of the Plaza at the right, which was the terminus of the town's historic lifeline: the Zanja Madre. The Plaza itself was rounded and turned into a traditional ornate plaza, with a fountain that later became the bandstand. The building in the top right background was the Lugo House.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 26, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 898 times since then and 16 times this year. Last updated on July 30, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos:   1. submitted on December 26, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.   2. submitted on December 15, 2020, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on December 27, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.   8. submitted on December 14, 2020, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=120903

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 10, 2021