Groveton in Trinity County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Trinity County Seats
The town of Trinity (20 mi. SW) was named the new county seat by legislative act. In 1874, however, local voters chose to relocate the seat of government at Pennington (12 mi. NW). A courthouse fire there in 1876, coupled with the theft of district court records in 1880, led county residents to consider a new site for the government offices.
As the result of an election on October 7, 1882, the sawmill and railroad town of Groveton became the fourth seat of Trinity County. Official records were moved here 13 days later. The courthouse square was donated by the Trinity & Sabine Timber Co.
The history of the Trinity County seats reflects a proud heritage based on early struggles and hopes
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7971.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 31° 3.341′ N, 95° 7.609′ W. Marker is in Groveton, Texas, in Trinity County. Marker is at the intersection of First Street (U.S. 287) and South Main Street, on the left when traveling east on First Street. Located in the courthouse square. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 162 West First Street, Groveton TX 75845, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Groveton (here, next to this marker); Trinity County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Steele's Academy (approx. 11 miles away); Site of the Town of Sebastopol (approx. 12˝ miles away); Albert Holley House (approx. 12˝ miles away).
Also see . . . Trinity County. The Handbook of Texas Online, Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on March 12, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 2, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 11, 2012, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 411 times since then and 20 times this year. Last updated on August 1, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 11, 2012, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.