Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Shiloh in Union Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Old Shiloh Community

 
 
Old Shiloh Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 1, 2018
1. Old Shiloh Community Marker
Inscription.  Two Louisiana governors were born nearby~~William W. Heard (1900~1904) and Ruffin G. Pleasant (1916~1920). Post office established 1851 and discontinued 1906. Site of Concord Institute, a Baptist college, ca. 1877~1884.
 
Erected 1979 by the Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism.
 
Location. 32° 47.643′ N, 92° 35.389′ W. Marker is in Shiloh, Louisiana, in Union Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Louisiana Route 2 and Shiloh Drive, on the right when traveling east on State Route 2. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12841 LA-2, Bernice LA 71222, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Autrey House (approx. 8.1 miles away); Scott Place Mounds (approx. 8.6 miles away); Unionville General Store (approx. 9.1 miles away); Old Wire Road (approx. 14.4 miles away).
 
Regarding Old Shiloh Community. Shiloh grew and prospered for a time having doctors, merchants, and farmers. Shiloh Baptist Church was organized in 1849 and Shiloh was incorporated
Old Shiloh Community Marker at the Shiloh Baptist Church. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 1, 2018
2. Old Shiloh Community Marker at the Shiloh Baptist Church.
as a town in 1870. The Concord Institute, a Baptist College, boarding school type was founded in 1875. The town suffered from several fires during the latter part of the century with businesses re-building at the new town of Bernice. The first Baptist Church building burned in 1937 and a new building was dedicated in 1938. A landmark of the old church is the original bell, now on a stand in front of the cemetery. The old land donation to Shiloh church in 1852 stated the five acres included the cemetery, which has markers dating back to the early 1850s.
 
Categories. EducationGovernment & PoliticsSettlements & Settlers
 
The view east on Louisiana Highway 2. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 1, 2018
3. The view east on Louisiana Highway 2.
 

More. Search the internet for Old Shiloh Community.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 1, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 79 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 1, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement