Hico in Hamilton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church of Hico
During a 10-day revival in winter 1884-85, evangelist R.R. Raymond helped raise money for a church sanctuary. Texas Central Railway donated land in 1886 for the use of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, Congregation of Hico. A sanctuary was completed in spring 1887 at this site. The structure served the congregation, which had grown to more than 300 members, until 1902-03, when the current sanctuary was built of wood with handcrafted benches and pulpit.
The church held an open house and homecoming in 1954, showing to former members and pastors a new education building and remodeled sanctuary, with an enclosed bell tower and new tan brick façade over the original wood cladding. The congregation's numbers grew during the 20th century as other area churches merged their memberships into Hico's. These churches represented the communities
During its years as a congregation, the church has contributed to area communities through its many services, including Boy and Girl Scout programs, community dinners, and clothes and food pantry, as well as its youth, music and education programs, missionary funding, study and worship.
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12899.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 31° 58.932′ N, 98° 2.047′ W. Marker is in Hico, Texas, in Hamilton County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 W 1st St, Hico, TX 76457, Hico TX 76457, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Frontier Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Rankin Alford (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Hico (approx. 2.6 miles away); Clairette Schoolhouse (approx. 6.4 miles away); Olin Baptist Church (approx. 8.3 miles away); Riverside Cemetery (approx. 9½ miles away); Iredell First United Methodist Church (approx. 9½ miles away); United Methodist Church of Fairy (approx. 9.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hico.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 3, 2018, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 191 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 3, 2018, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.