Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Crockett in Houston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Five Courthouses of Houston County

 
 
Five Courthouses of Houston County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, July 28, 2018
1. Five Courthouses of Houston County Marker
Inscription.  On June 12, 1837, President Sam Houston authorized the formation of Houston County, the first newly created county in the Republic of Texas. Andrew W. Gossett (1812-1890) donated land, which included this square, for the townsite. He and his father, Elijah, both veterans of the Battle of San Jacinto, named the county for Sam Houston, and the county seat for David Crockett, a former Tennessee friend.

The first county courthouse, a log structure which served as a fortress during Indian attacks, was in use at this location by 1838. A brick building, which replaced the first courthouse in 1851, was destroyed by a fire of mysterious origin in 1865. County business was conducted in the L.E. Downes building on the southwest corner of the square until a two-story frame structure was finished in 1869. A jail addition burned in 1871 while it was under construction. The third courthouse and jail burned in 1882.

The fourth courthouse, completed at this site in 1883, was razed in 1938. While this three-story structure was under construction, county business was conducted in the Crockett Hotel. In 1975 the third-floor jail was moved to
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
a separate building and the fifth Houston County courthouse was remodeled.
 
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11132.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
 
Location. 31° 19.087′ N, 95° 27.459′ W. Marker is in Crockett, Texas, in Houston County. Marker is at the intersection of South 4th Street (U.S. 287) and East Houston Avenue (Texas Highway 21), on the left when traveling south on South 4th Street. Marker is located on the west side of the county courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 East Houston Avenue, Crockett TX 75835, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Houston County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Crockett (within shouting distance of this marker); W.V. McConnell Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Miller-Spinks-Mayes Property (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of the Crockett Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); First National Bank of Crockett (within shouting distance of this marker); Patton-Buchanan Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Early Bank Building (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Crockett.
 
Five Courthouses of Houston County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, July 28, 2018
2. Five Courthouses of Houston County Marker
Marker on left is Five Courthouses of Houston County. Marker on right is Houston County Courthouse.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 11, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 7, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 280 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 9, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=121246

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2024