Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cestohowa in Karnes County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

El Fuerte del Cibolo

 
 
El Fuerte del Cibolo Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, August 11, 2018
1. El Fuerte del Cibolo Marker
Inscription.  Near this site (about 2.5 mi. N on Cibolo Creek) stood the 18th-century Spanish fort of El Fuerte de Santa Cruz del Cibolo, usually called El Fuerte del Cibolo or El Cibolo. Built to protect the many Spanish ranches between San Antonio and La Bahia (now Goliad), the fort was occupied first from 1734 to 1737, and again from 1771 to 1782.

The land between the San Antonio River and Cibolo Creek, called "El Rincon", was part of an area deeded by the King of Spain to missions and many private individuals. The site of El Fuerte del Cibolo was part of a private ranch called El Rancho de San Bartolo which belonged to Andres Hernandez.

In 1772 the Spanish government formally authorized the establishment of fifteen presidios (forts) from California to Texas. El Fuerte del Cibolo, which had been reactivated in 1771, came under that authorization and remained an active fort until 1782. Twenty soldiers were stationed at El Fuerte del Cibolo on July 4, 1776. Some of them helped move cattle and horses from this area to the Gulf Coast, where Spanish forces under Gen. Bernardo de Galvez defeated the British during the American Revolution,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
thereby contributing to the winning of American independence.
 
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1418.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is July 4, 1776.
 
Location. 29° 0.66′ N, 97° 56.048′ W. Marker is in Cestohowa, Texas, in Karnes County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 3191 and County Road 389, on the right when traveling west on Road 3191. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 FM 3191, Falls City TX 78113, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); John Gawlik House (approx. 4.2 miles away); First Store in Panna Maria (approx. 4.3 miles away); Pilarczyk Store (approx. 4.3 miles away); Panna Maria, Texas (approx. 4.3 miles away); Town of Panna Maria (approx. 4.3 miles away); Immaculate Conception Church (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cestohowa.
 
Also see . . .  Fuerte de Santa Cruz del Cíbolo - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State
El Fuerte del Cibolo Marker Area image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, August 11, 2018
2. El Fuerte del Cibolo Marker Area
Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on April 9, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 12, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 403 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 12, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=121606

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 20, 2024