Karnes City in Karnes County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Karnes County Courthouse
In the 1880s the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad was planning a route from San Antonio to the coast. The citizens of Helena did not donate land or raise enough cash for the railroad. At this time, W.G. Butler donated land west of Helena through what is now Karnes City. As a result, the railroad bypassed Helena as it built a line through Karnes County in 1886-87. By 1893 the railroad town of Karnes City, established here in 1891, had surpassed Helena in population and political clout. Karnes City was chosen as the new county seat on December 21, 1893.
Karnes County officials let bids for a new courthouse and jail on January 4, 1894. They received bids from prominent Texas courthouse designers, Alfred Giles and J. Riely Gordon, but awarded the courthouse contract to John Cormack, who also built courthouses in Concho, Somervell and Uvalde counties. Cormack died before finishing
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2902.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is January 4, 1894.
Location. 28° 53.118′ N, 97° 54.081′ W. Marker is in Karnes City, Texas, in Karnes County. Marker is at the intersection of North Panna Maria Avenue (Business State Highway 123) and West Calvert Avenue (Business U.S. 181), on the right when traveling south on North Panna Maria Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 N Panna Maria Ave, Karnes City TX 78118, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Karnes County (a few steps from this marker); Karnes City (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Joseph's School (approx. 5 miles away); Immaculate Conception Church (approx. 5 miles away); Town of Panna Maria (approx. 5 miles away); First Store in Panna Maria (approx. 5 miles away); Panna Maria, Texas (approx. 5 miles away); Pilarczyk Store (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Karnes City.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 14, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 74 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 13, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.