Karnes City in Karnes County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created February 4, 1854
Organized February 27, 1854
Named in honor of
Henry Wax Karnes
Conspicuous for gallantry at
storming of Bexar
Commanded a company at
Texas Ranger in 1838
County seat, Helena, 1854-1894
Karnes City, since
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 6073.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 4, 1854.
Location. 28° 53.106′ N, 97° 54.076′ W. Marker is in Karnes City, Texas, in Karnes County. Marker is at the intersection of North Panna Maria Avenue (Business State Highway 123) and West Calvert Avenue (Business U.S. 181), on the right on North Panna Maria Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 N Panna Maria Ave, Karnes City TX 78118, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow fliesKarnes County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Karnes City (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Joseph's School (approx. 5 miles away); Immaculate Conception Church (approx. 5 miles away); Town of Panna Maria (approx. 5 miles away); First Store in Panna Maria (approx. 5 miles away); Panna Maria, Texas (approx. 5 miles away); Pilarczyk Store (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Karnes City.
Also see . . . Karnes County - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on April 9, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 96 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 13, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.