Lynch in Harlan County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
No. 31 Mine Portals
These portals were finished in 1920 while coal was being removed from temporary portals to the west. The main haulage goes straight through the mountain to Lewis Creek in Letcher Co., while an offset continues to Colliers Creek, about 5 miles, the mine was closed in 1963. In 1968 the three main entries were rehabilitated to serve the new Winifrede Mine borehole, 1800 ft. underground. The conveyor here hauled coal at 500 tons per hour from the Winifrede Mine to a 2300 ton storage silo at the tipple.
In 1917 United States Steel Corporation began development of the coal mining facilities that you will see here. First coal was shipped November 2, 1917. 1,243,000 tons were shipped in 1919.
You will see here:
No. 31 Mine Portal (1920)
No. 31 Mine Lamphouse (1920)
Lynch Firehouse (1920)
Bathhouse & Office (1920)
No. 31 Mine Coal Dump Pit (1920)
Power House (1920)
Machine Shop (1920)
Coal Tipple (1920)
Blending Bin & Lower Conveyor (1950)
City Water Plant (1934)
Restaurant Building (1921)
Railroad Station (1925) Bore
Winifrede Mine Conveyor (1968)
Winifrede Mine Conveyor Ventilating Fan (1968)
No. 31 Mine Shop – Floor Slab (1957)
To build the town and mine support facilities, Big Looney Creek was rerouted and over one mile was walled with locally quarried native sandstone. In addition to the structures chronicled here, the coal company constructed six miles of concrete paved streets, fifty miles of water lines, power lines, one of the largest company stores in the world, a hospital, 120 room hotel, bank, post office, elementary and high schools, and 1000 homes served by outhouses connected to a central sewage disposal plant. The city had over 10,000 residents at one time.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1917.
Location. 36° 57.965′ N, 82° 55.056′ W. Marker is in Lynch, Kentucky, in Harlan County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (Kentucky Route 160) and Church Street, on the right when traveling west on West Main Street. Marker is located on the Portal 31 Exhibition Mine grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Portal 31 Circle, Lynch KY 40855, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lamp House No. 2 (within shouting distance of this marker); Lynch Firehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Mine Ventilating FanRestaurant Building (within shouting distance of this marker); No. 31 Mine Shop (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); History of Lynch (about 300 feet away); Winifrede Mine Conveyor (about 300 feet away); Railroad Station (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lynch.
More about this marker. This is a large, painted metal, "billboard-style" marker.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Portal 31 Exhibition Mine, Lynch, Kentucky
Credits. This page was last revised on September 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 101 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7, 8, 9. submitted on September 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.