Originally four 150 KW D.C. generators were installed. This was quickly converted to two 1875 KVA, 6600 volt A.C. generators. A cooling tower was erected beside Looney Creek and water was sprayed into a cooling pond in the creek.
With the advent of power in 1925 from Kentucky Utilities, the generators were shut down and the boilers used to supply the steam to heat shops, bathhouse, tipple and other support facilities, in addition to several management homes.
Boilers were fed with stoker coal directly from the adjacent tipple. The powerhouse stack is 209 feet high and 14 feet to 9 feet in diameter.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 36° 57.949′ N, 82° 55.148′ W. Marker is in Lynch, Kentucky, in Harlan County. Marker is on West Main Street (Kentucky Route 160) west of Church Street
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Winifrede Mine Conveyor (within shouting distance of this marker); History of Lynch (within shouting distance of this marker); No. 31 Mine Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); Coal Tipple (within shouting distance of this marker); City Water Plant (within shouting distance of this marker); Restaurant Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mine Ventilating Fan (about 300 feet away); Lamp House No. 2 (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lynch.
More about this marker. This is a large, painted metal, "billboard-style" marker.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Portal 31 Exhibition Mine, Lynch, Kentucky
Credits. This page was last revised on August 17, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 91 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.