Near Hahira in Lowndes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
In 1833, the County Seat was moved to Troupville, a small settlement about four miles west of present-day Valdosta.
Erected 1961 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 092-3.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is December 23, 1852.
Location. 30° 58.975′ N, 83° 16.649′ W. Marker is near Hahira, Georgia, in Lowndes County. Marker is on Franklinville Road 0.2 miles east of Skipper Bridge Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hahira GA 31632, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Coffee RoadValdosta Street Railroad Company Waiting Station, 1917 (approx. 9.3 miles away); Drexel Park (approx. 9˝ miles away); Site of Troupville (approx. 9.8 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 10.3 miles away); Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 10.4 miles away); Christian Science Church (approx. 10.4 miles away); Lowndes County (approx. 10.4 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 6, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,501 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 6, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.