San Francisco in San Francisco City and County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
St. John’s Presbyterian Church
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
City and County of San Francisco (Marker Number 83, 410.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites series list.
Location. 37° 47.204′ N, 122° 27.567′ W. Marker is in San Francisco, California, in San Francisco City and County. Marker is at the intersection of Arguello Boulevard and Lake Street, on the left when traveling north on Arguello Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Francisco CA 94118, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The San Francisco Columbarium (approx. 0.4 miles away); Juan Bautista de Anza (approx. 0.6 miles away); San Francisco's First People (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Anza Expedition Camped Here (approx. 0.6 miles away); Bachelor Officers' Quarters: Pershing Hall (approx. 0.7 miles away); Old Post Chapel (approx. ¾ mile away); At Home in the Nineteenth Century ArmyLover’s Lane (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Francisco.
More about this marker. The marker is to the right of the entrance on Arguello Boulevard.
Regarding St. John’s Presbyterian Church. St. John’s Presbyterian Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1996. This church is also one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
Organized in 1870, St. John's occupied two houses of worship before constructing the present sanctuary on Lake Street at the turn of the 20th century. Many of its furnishings, including the pews, the pulpit, the inscribed transept arch, the Rose window, and the Johnson pipe organ, followed the congregation to each successive building. The Shingle-style church, with its imposing, square steeple tower, its steeply pitched gabled roof, and its ornamental hexagonal South tower, was completed in 1906. The first services were held on Easter Sunday. Three days later, the church
Credits. This page was last revised on October 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 29, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,107 times since then and 14 times this year. Last updated on August 14, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 29, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 5. submitted on April 29, 2009. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.