Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Virginia City in Storey County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

First Presbyterian Church

Dedicated Jan. 1, 1867

 
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, August 9, 2009
1. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  
This Carpenter Gothic Church was built at a cost of $12,000.

It is listed as No. 301 of the American Presbyterian & Reformed Historic Sites. (Marker Number 301.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionLandmarks. In addition, it is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites series list.
 
Location. 39° 18.469′ N, 119° 39.035′ W. Marker is in Virginia City, Nevada, in Storey County. Marker is on South C Street (Nevada Route 341), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 196 South C Street, Virginia City NV 89440, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Solid Granite (a few steps from this marker); Pelton Wheel (a few steps from this marker); Young America Engine Co. No. 2 (within shouting distance of this marker); Frank Bell (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bonner Shaft of the Gould & Curry Mine (about 400 feet away); In Memory of Julia C. Bulette
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 400 feet away); BOB (about 400 feet away); “Sixty-Two” Building (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Virginia City.
 
More about this marker. This marker is located on the right side of the front of the building. A second marker is located on the left.
This church is located on the main street of the Virginia City Historic District.
 
Regarding First Presbyterian Church. First Presbyterian Church was the only original church to survive a disastrous fire that destroyed most of the city in 1875. Built in 1867 with funds raised by its congregation from mining stocks, the church has been restored and is open for tours and services.

First Presbyterian Church is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).

The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:

The First Presbyterian Church of Virginia City was organized
The Second First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, August 9, 2009
2. The Second First Presbyterian Church Marker
in 1862. A wood-and-batten meeting house was constructed in 1867. In 1875, three-quarters of Virginia City was destroyed by fire, but the church was spared. As the mining boom became a bust, membership dwindled, regular worship services were suspended, and by 1951, the “Comstock Church,” the second oldest Presbyterian church in Nevada, was derelict and scheduled for demolition. In 1954, residents launched a rescue; they stabilized the structure and raised money for its restoration. As Virginia City revived as a tourist town, a congregation was reorganized and summer services resumed. In 1966, pews and a pipe organ were installed. By 1988, the church once again offered regular Sunday worship.

 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia Article on the Virginia City Historic District. Many of the historical sites in this mining town are featured in this article. This Historic District is named as a National Historical Landmark. (Submitted on August 10, 2009.) 
 
First Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By D. Williamson, August 9, 2009
3. First Presbyterian Church
The main marker can be seen on the right above the steps. The second marker can be seen on the left.
First Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, August 9, 2009
4. First Presbyterian Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 12, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 10, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 930 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on August 14, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 10, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=121758

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 26, 2024