Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gainsville in Cooke County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Cooke County

 
 
Cooke County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, August 11, 2018
1. Cooke County Marker
Inscription.  
Created March 20, 1848. Organized March 10, 1849.

Named in honor of
William G. Cooke
1808-1847
Captain of the "New Orleans Greys," 1835
Assistant Inspector General
at San Jacinto, 1836
Member of the Santa Fe Expedition, 1841
Secretary of War and Marine, 1845
Adjutant General, 1846-1847

County Seat, Gainesville.

 
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 1053.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 20, 1848.
 
Location. Marker has been reported damaged. 33° 37.469′ N, 97° 9.242′ W. Marker is in Gainsville, Texas, in Cooke County. Marker is on West California Street (Farm to Market Road 51) 0.2 miles west of Interstate 35, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1025 W California St, Gainesville TX 76240, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Cooke County C.S.A. / 2nd Frontier Regiment
Cooke County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, August 11, 2018
2. Cooke County Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); Moffett Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Cooke County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Gainesville, Texas Gold Star Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); American Paint Horse Association (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gainesville Community Circus (approx. 0.2 miles away); W. T. G. Weaver (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Old California Trail (approx. half a mile away).
 
More about this marker. Note that the plaque containing the inscription has been removed from this marker. The text used for this record comes from the Texas Historical Commission Atlas.
 
Also see . . .  Cooke County - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on August 15, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 15, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 120 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 15, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=121775

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 22, 2022