Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary Campus
The Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary held its first classes in a donated building at 9th and Navasota. President T.R. Sampson, hoping to create a strong association between the seminary and the University of Texas, promoted the relocation of the campus closer to the University.
In 1906, the seminary board purchased land at this site. With funds from the bequest of former Governor Francis R. Lubbock, a campus refectory (Lubbock Hall) was constructed in 1907. A second, larger building (later named Sampson Hall) was built to house dormitory rooms, offices, classrooms and the library. Both buildings were designed by Austin architect George Endress and constructed of buff brick with Mission Revival detailing. Five faculty homes were built on seminary property in 1909.
During World War I, the Presbyterian Seminary closed temporarily and leased its buildings to the United States Government until reopening in 1921. The seminary chapel, constructed in 1941, provided a strong focal point for the seminary campus. By 1996, Sampson Hall, Lubbock Hall and the original faculty homes had been razed to make room for other facilities.
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12757.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1906.
Location. 30° 17.507′ N, 97° 44.258′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker can be reached from West 27th Street near Wichita Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 W 27th Street, Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary (a few steps from this marker); Rebecca Kilgore Stuart Red (within shouting distance of this marker); All Saints’ Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Buen Retiro (approx. 0.2 miles away); Zeta Tau Alpha House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Whitley-Keltner House (approx. 0.3 miles away); John Elbridge Hines (approx. 0.3 miles away); Littlefield Home (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 22, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 672 times since then and 10 times this year. Last updated on August 15, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photo 1. submitted on December 22, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?