Sioux City in Woodbury County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Erected by Iowa Presbyterians
In Memory of
Rev. Sheldon Jackson
Rev. T.H. Cleland
Rev. J.C. Elliott
Pioneer Missionaries who on
April 29, 1869 from this hill top
viewed the great unchurched
areas and after prayer went out
to win the west for Christ.
Cleland ------ Jackson ------ Elliott
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites ⛪ series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 29, 1869.
Location. 42° 29.638′ N, 96° 24.958′ W. Marker is in Sioux City, Iowa, in Woodbury County. Marker is at the intersection of Bluff St. and W. 1st St. on Bluff St.. This monument is in a green area on the edge of the hill. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sioux City IA 51101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Lewis & Clark Expedition (approx. 0.2 miles away); M.V. Sergeant Floyd (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Spirit of Siouxland (approx. Grand Army of the Republic (approx. 1.6 miles away); Floyd Monument (approx. 2.9 miles away); Sergeant Charles Floyd (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Death of Sergeant Floyd (approx. 2.9 miles away); Sergeant Floyd Monument (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sioux City.
Regarding Prospect Hill. The Prospect Hill Monument is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
The Prospect Hill Monument commemorates where, in 1869, Sheldon Jackson, Rev. T.C. Cleland, and Rev. J.C. Elliot prayed before they began their great missionary effort. The Prospect Hill Monument, a 12-foot high concrete obelisk surrounded by an iron fence, was constructed in 1913 in Prospect Terrace Park. The three men who prayed on that hillside in 1869 lived to see their efforts
Also see . . . Sioux City History - Prospect Hill. (Submitted on January 17, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota.)
Additional keywords. Pioneer Missionaries
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2018. It was originally submitted on January 17, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 384 times since then and 5 times this year. Last updated on August 15, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 17, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.