Independence in Jackson County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
First Presbyterian Church
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Erected 1976 by American Revolution Bicentennial Commission of Independence. (Marker Number 19.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites, the Former U.S. Presidents: #33 Harry S. Truman, and the The Spirit of ’76, America’s Bicentennial Celebration series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1826.
Location. 39° 5.55′ N, 94° 25.281′ W. Marker is in Independence, Missouri, in Jackson County. Marker is on Pleasant Street near Lexington Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 North Pleasant Street, Independence MO 64050, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Independence Veterans Memorial First United Methodist Church (about 300 feet away); First Christian Church (about 400 feet away); Gingko Tree (about 500 feet away); First Baptist Church (about 600 feet away); First Fireproof Building in Independence (about 700 feet away); Joseph T. Noland House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Independence.
Regarding First Presbyterian Church. The First Presbyterian Church is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
Growing out of a preaching station of the Harmony Osage Indian Mission, the First Presbyterian Church was organized in 1841 with Dr. John Lapsley Yantis its first pastor. It was the only Presbyterian church in the area not to close or split during the Civil
Also see . . . First Presbyterian Church. (Submitted on August 22, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 22, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 738 times since then and 28 times this year. Last updated on August 15, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 22, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on January 16, 2020, by Michael E Sanchez, Jr. of Kansas City, Missouri. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.