Near Endeavor in Marquette County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Wee White Kirk
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
In the year of 1865 the congregation had grown sufficiently to warrant the need of a central place of worship.
In that year a church was erected on land which was donated to the General Assembly by William and Adeline Sutfin. John Muir's father was among the first to conduct services here.
In 1905 lack of membership closed the doors on the Wee White Kirk.
Andrew Reid, Charles and Owen Owens donated the Cemetery grounds to The Buffalo U.P. Cemetery Association.
The sect of the United Presbyterian Church of North America passed into oblivion in 1951, at that time a quit-claim deed left the church to the Cemetery Association.
The preservation of the Wee Kirk and the painstaking care of the cemetery grounds testify to the love and esteem of past generations, to God and to their forbears.
Given in Memory of Byron and Wyona McReath by the McReath Family
Erected 1972 by the McReath Family. (Marker Number 102.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites marker series.
Location. 43° 40.345′ N, 89° 21.658′ W. Marker is near Endeavor, Wisconsin, in Marquette County. Marker is on 13th Road 0.1 miles north of County Highway O, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: N909 13th Road, Endeavor WI 53930, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Muir, Foster Son of Wisconsin (approx. 2.1 miles away); John Muir Memorial Park (approx. 2.1 miles away); John Muir Country (approx. 3.8 miles away); Potters' Emigration Society (approx. 4.1 miles away); Walter March Ellis (approx. 6 miles away); Montello Historical District (approx. 8.4 miles away); Montello Granite (approx. 8˝ miles away); Revolutionary War Veteran (approx. 8.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Endeavor.
Regarding The Wee White Kirk. The Buffalo Presbyterian Church is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
Scottish settlers organized the Buffalo Associate Presbyterian Church in 1852. This was the site of the founding of the Presbytery of Wisconsin (United Presbyterian Church of North America) on 12 October 1864. Although the congregation was dissolved in 1905, the present church building (constructed in 1865) stands virtually unaltered in structure and furnishings. The Buffalo United Presbyterian Cemetery Association maintains the property.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
More. Search the internet for The Wee White Kirk.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2009, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,144 times since then and 20 times this year. Last updated on August 15, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 24, 2009, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.