Johns Island in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
John's Island Presbyterian Church
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Founded by early English, Scottish, and French settlers about 1710, this is one of the oldest Presbyterian congregations in South Carolina. The original sanctuary, believed to have been built about 1719, was enlarged in 1823.
Erected 1960 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 10-2 / 114.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1710.
Location. 32° 41.141′ N, 80° 4.926′ W. Marker is in Johns Island, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Bohicket Road (State Highway 10-20) near Donnelly Lane, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2550 Bohicket Road, Johns Island SC 29455, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Progressive Club (approx. 2½ miles away); Federal Expedition on John's Island / Battle of Burden's Causeway (approx. 4.2 miles away); Belvidere School Site (approx. 6.1 miles away); Plainsfield PlantationBattle of Sol-Legare Island (approx. 6.7 miles away); St. Paul's, Stono / St. Paul's Churchyard (approx. 7.3 miles away); Battery Number 5 (approx. 7.6 miles away); The Stono Rebellion (approx. 7.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Johns Island.
Regarding John's Island Presbyterian Church. National Register of Historic Places:
John's Island Presbyterian Church (added 1975 - - #75001692)
♦ Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering, Event
♦ Architectural Style: Other, Colonial
♦ Area of Significance: Politics/Government, Architecture, Social History
♦ Period of Significance: 1800-1824, 1750-1799, 1700-1749
♦ Historic Function: Funerary, Religion
Originally called John’s Island and Wadmalaw Church, the name was shorted to John’s Island Presbyterian Church in 1925. The date of the present church building is under dispute. According to local tradition it was built in 1719 and remodeled in 1792. However, Chancery Court proceedings of 1840 and 1842 refer to pulling down an old church and rebuilding a new one in 1822. A church school
John’s Island Presbyterian Church is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location is on a stone monument as part of a gateway to the church entrance).
Rev. Archibald Stobo, a Presbyterian minister from Scotland who was shipwrecked off a Charleston bar in 1700, organized the congregation in 1710. The present building, constructed in 1719, is the original structure made of hand-sawed lumber and wooden pegs. The congregation enlarged the building by the addition of 20 feet to its length in 1823. The original roof of hand-split black cypress shingles was replaced after the Civil War.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 4, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 866 times since then and 43 times this year. Last updated on August 16, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 4, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 7, 8. submitted on December 5, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.