Fairfield in Freestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created September 6, 1850
Organized January 6, 1851
So named from the nature of
County Seat, Fairfield
Formerly known as Mound Prairie
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 9878.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical date for this entry is September 6, 1850.
Location. 31° 43.532′ N, 96° 9.605′ W. Marker is in Fairfield, Texas, in Freestone County. Marker is at the intersection of East Commerce Street (U.S. 84) and South Mount Street, on the left when traveling east on East Commerce Street. Marker is located in the courthouse square. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 118 East Commerce Street, Fairfield TX 75840, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Captain L.D. Bradley (here, next to this marker); Val Verde Battery (a few steps from this marker); Site of Law Office General John GreggButler Church Bell (about 700 feet away); Old Freestone Jail (about 700 feet away); The Fridolin (Fred) Fischer Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Manahan House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lewis Corner (approx. 8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairfield.
Also see . . . Freestone County - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on August 16, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 14, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 696 times since then. Last updated on August 16, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on October 14, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. 2. submitted on July 5, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 3. submitted on October 14, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. 4. submitted on July 5, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.