Fairfield in Freestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Val Verde Battery
At Mansfield, La., April 1864, captured new, longer-range guns.
Unwilling to lose their guns when the war ended, the men buried four. The last commander, T.D. Nettles, brought this one home to Freestone County.
Erected 1964 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9909.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1864.
Location. 31° 43.533′ N, 96° 9.594′ W. Marker is in Fairfield, Texas, in Freestone County. Marker is at the intersection of East Commerce Street (U.S. 84) and North Keechi Street, on the left when traveling east on East Commerce Street. In the courthouse square. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 118 East Commerce Street, Fairfield TX 75840, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 Captain L.D. Bradley (a few steps from this marker); Freestone County (a few steps from this marker); Site of Law Office General John Gregg (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Butler Church Bell (about 600 feet away); Old Freestone Jail (about 700 feet away); The Fridolin (Fred) Fischer Home (about 800 feet away); The Manahan House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lewis Corner (approx. 8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairfield.
Also see . . . Val Verde Battery - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on August 16, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 17, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 921 times since then and 8 times this year. Last updated on August 16, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on October 17, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. 2. submitted on July 5, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 3. submitted on October 17, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. 4. submitted on July 5, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.