Fort Worth in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Texas Christian University
So began the moves and changes that led TCU to Thorp Spring, Waco, and back to Fort Worth in 1910, after fire destroyed the main building on the Waco campus.
The Fort Worth Board of Trade, an antecedent of the Chamber of Commerce, the Fairmount Land Company, and the city's Christian churches offered 50 acres, $200,000, and promises of utilities and a street car line, outbidding Waco and Dallas. Until facilities were constructed on "The Hill" - site of the present campus - in 1911, TCU leased space downtown in Ingram Flats, a series of two-story brick buildings at Weatherford and Commerce Streets.
Erected 2006 by Fort Worth Heritage Trails and Texas Christian University.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 West Weatherford Street, Fort Worth TX 76196, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tarrant County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); 1784 Tarrant County 1815 (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Worth 1849-1853 (within shouting distance of this marker); Leonard Brothers Department Store (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); "The Stage Leaves From Here" (about 500 feet away); The Site of Camp Worth (about 500 feet away); Fort Worth (about 600 feet away); Site of the First Masonic Hall in Fort Worth (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Worth.
Also see . . . Texas Christian University - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on August 16, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 16, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 118 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 16, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.