Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lewiston in Nez Perce County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
 

Relic of Rustic Past

 
 
Relic of Rustic Past Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, May 7, 2018
1. Relic of Rustic Past Marker
Inscription.  Said to date from the late 1860s, this historic log cabin is Lewiston's oldest surviving residence and once sat on 19th Street between Main and G Streets. The first documented owner was Samuel C. Thompson (1820-1898), who came to Lewiston in 1862 and became one "of the chief wealth holders of the county," eventually owning nearly all of Lewiston between 14th to 21st Streets.
In February 1879, William B. Akins (1827-1884) rented the cabin with his wife and their sons, John and Sage, and soon began buying up property in the area. John (1866-1940) became a steamboat captain and commanded the Lewiston, while Sage (1868-1942) served on the City Council for 14 years.
An Italian-born gardener and local resident since 1886, Salvadore Miranda (1859-1941) and his wife Mary purchased the property from Thompson's widow in 1898, added surrounding lots in 1901 and 1904, and erected a new house on 21/2 acres, where his truck farm would produce the region's first crops of celery. Lewiston businesswoman Louisa Aquino Murphy (1890-1978) lived with the family as an immigrant teenager and saved three-year-old Dominic Miranda from the fire
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
that destroyed the new home in January 1910.
In June 1937, the Pioneer Society of North Idaho relocated the cabin to the north end of Pioneer Park, near the Carnegie Library. The building was moved to this site in May 2013 and underwent conservation, restoration and preservation.

Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
 
Location. 46° 25.098′ N, 117° 1.074′ W. Marker is in Lewiston, Idaho, in Nez Perce County. Marker is at the intersection of 12th Street and F Street, on the left when traveling north on 12th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lewiston ID 83501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Idaho's First Capitol (within shouting distance of this marker); The Early Years in Nez Perce County (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); 18th St. Bridge (approx. 0.6 miles away); John Silcott (approx. 0.6 miles away); Means Building (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lewis and Clark (approx. 0.6 miles away); Pacific Northwest Bell Building (Historic Name) (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site of Luna House (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewiston.
 
Relic of Rustic Past Marker and Cabin image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, May 7, 2018
2. Relic of Rustic Past Marker and Cabin
Thompson Cabin image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, May 7, 2018
3. Thompson Cabin
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 16, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 211 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 16, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=121909

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2024