New Market /Oliver Harris
In 1798, Henry Massie, brother of General Nathaniel Massie, platted a town, the earliest permanent settlement in Highland County, covering 400 acres and named it New Market after a town in his native Virginia. New Market served as the unofficial county seat until Hillsboro assumed that title in 1807. Despite being traversed by the Cincinnati-Chillicothe Post Road with seven other roads (including one from Manchester) leading in, New Market ceased being an active trade and civic center. It is now a small hamlet with a cluster of dwellings, a church, and a few businesses.
In 1810, Oliver Harris migrated here from New Jersey with his wife, Amy Bereman Harris. A journal that he kept for 35 years until his death tells of a man with diverse skills, staunch character, deep faith, and patriotism. He served as a Lieutenant during the War of 1812 and organized a church, originally known as the Little Rocky Fork Church, at his home in 1838. His treasured legacy, excerpts of which have been published, has been carefully preserved locally by 6 generations. Harris and his great, great
Erected 2002 by New Market Township Trustees and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 3-36.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
Location. 39° 8.251′ N, 83° 40.084′ W. Marker is near Hillsboro, Ohio, in Highland County. Marker is on U.S. 62, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4641 US-62, Hillsboro OH 45133, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Milton Caniff (approx. 5.2 miles away); Highland County Unknown Dead Memorial (approx. 5.4 miles away); Highland County Civil War Memorial (approx. 5.4 miles away); The Lincoln School (approx. 5.9 miles away); Gist Settlement (approx. 12.2 miles away); Winchester (approx. 13˝ miles away); Winchester, Ohio – 1815 / Morgan’s Raid – 1863 (approx. 13.9 miles away); Seaman (approx. 14˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hillsboro.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 17, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 17, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 116 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 17, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.