Fort Worth in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Fort Worth 1849-1853
Log buildings with earthen floors surrounding a parade ground were built for stables, housing, a hospital, commissary, kitchens, laundries, and sutler's store. Two houses for Commanders were constructed.
In September 1853, Fort Worth was closed and the troops moved to other postings. Settlers moved into the buildings or tore them down and used the materials elsewhere. These buildings and these early settlers were the foundation of the city of Fort Worth.
Erected 2006 by Fort Worth Heritage Trails & the City of Fort Worth.
Location. 32° 45.491′ N, 97° 19.97′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 West Belknap Street, Fort Worth TX 76196, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Texas Christian University (within shouting distance of this marker); Tarrant County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1784 Tarrant County 1815 (about 400 feet away); The Site of Camp Worth (about 500 feet away); Leonard Brothers Department Store (about 600 feet away); Site of the First Masonic Hall in Fort Worth (about 600 feet away); Fort Worth (about 600 feet away); First School (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Worth.
Also see . . . Fort Worth - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on August 17, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Categories. • Forts or Castles •
More. Search the internet for Fort Worth 1849-1853.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 17, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 17, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 106 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 17, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.