Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Cuero in DeWitt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Hopkinsville Community

A Colony of Freedmen

 
 
Hopkinsville Community Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, August 11, 2018
1. Hopkinsville Community Marker
Inscription.  Members of the Hopkins family came to De Witt County in 1854 as slaves of Judge Henry Clay Pleasants (d. 1899). They worked for a time on a Gonzales County plantation and returned to this area after the Civil War as freedmen. In 1872 Henry Hopkins bought 42 acres of land and established the Hopkinsville community (1 mi. W). Residents of the settlement organized the Antioch Baptist Church in 1873 and began a school about ten years later. Although the school closed in 1956, members of the Antioch Baptist Church continue to worship near Hopkinsville.
 
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2560.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1872.
 
Location. 29° 1.839′ N, 97° 19.027′ W. Marker is near Cuero, Texas, in DeWitt County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 183 and Hopkinsville Road (County Road 429), on the right when traveling north on U.S. 183. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cuero TX 77954, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
this marker, measured as the crow flies. Clinton (approx. 2 miles away); Keller-Grunder House (approx. 4.2 miles away); Morgan Steamship Line (approx. 4.2 miles away); Cuero Land and Immigration Company (approx. 4.4 miles away); Early Texas Bandstands (approx. 4.4 miles away); Brayton Flying Field (approx. 4.4 miles away); Buchel Bank (approx. 4.4 miles away); St. Michael's Catholic Church (approx. 4˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cuero.
 
Hopkinsville Community Marker Area image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, August 11, 2018
2. Hopkinsville Community Marker Area
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 764 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 18, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=122056

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024