Aurora in Portage County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Church In Aurora
Aurora's first church was established on December 31, 1809 under the guidance of the Connecticut Missionary Society. The congregation called the Rev. John Seward of Granby, Massachusetts to be the first minister in 1812. Built on land donated by Samuel Forward and dedicated in 1824, the original brick church was replaced by a wood-frame building in 1872. The First Congregational Church and the Aurora Disciples of Christ formed an association called the Federated Church in Aurora in 1913. These three entities merged to form The Church in Aurora in 1933, serving the community as more than a landmark.
The church building is an example of the "Victorian Gothic Revival" architectural style, popular from the 1840s to the 1880s. Features of style include steeply pitched roofs, doors with pointed Gothic arches, and multi-paned windows capped with Gothic arches and hood moldings with urns. This style originated in stone buildings too expensive to replicate. Carpenters imitated the stone detailing in wood, as demonstrated in the church's exterior corner buttresses. The church added a fellowship hall and
Erected 2010 by The Church in Aurora and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 12-67.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical date for this entry is December 31, 1809.
Location. 41° 18.783′ N, 81° 20.743′ W. Marker is in Aurora, Ohio, in Portage County. Marker is at the intersection of South Chillicothe Road (Ohio Route 306) and South Aurora Road, on the right when traveling south on South Chillicothe Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Aurora OH 44202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ebenezer Sheldon (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); In Memory of Those (about 400 feet away); The Chillicothe Turnpike (approx. 0.3 miles away); Silver Creek Cheese Factory (approx. 0.9 miles away); Geauga Lake (approx. 2.8 miles away); Carlton & Flora Lowe (approx. 4.8 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.8 miles away); Bainbridge School (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Aurora.
Also see . . . The Church In Aurora(Submitted on August 19, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 19, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 94 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 19, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.