Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Cuero in DeWitt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Clinton

(.6 Miles East)

 
 
Clinton Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, August 11, 2018
1. Clinton Marker
Inscription.  Created in 1846, DeWitt County was named for Empresario Green DeWitt. The county seat, originally at Cameron, was moved in 1848 to the pioneer town of Clinton, named for DeWitt's son. County government returned briefly to Cameron, but Clinton again served as the county seat from 1850 until 1876, when Cuero was named the seat of government. Courthouses here included a log cabin and two frame buildings. A cemetery and well remain at the site of Clinton, evidence of the once-thriving community that was the home of many prominent area pioneers.
 
Erected 1967 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 922.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
 
Location. 29° 3.512′ N, 97° 19.705′ W. Marker is near Cuero, Texas, in DeWitt County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 183 and Clinton Road (County Road 410), on the right when traveling south on U.S. 183. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cuero TX 77954, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hopkinsville Community (approx.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
2 miles away); Keller-Grunder House (approx. 3.1 miles away); Buchel Bank (approx. 3.1 miles away); Morgan Steamship Line (approx. 3.2 miles away); Early Texas Bandstands (approx. 3.2 miles away); Cuero Land and Immigration Company (approx. 3.2 miles away); Brayton Flying Field (approx. 3.2 miles away); The Edward Mügge House (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cuero.
 
Clinton Marker Area image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, August 11, 2018
2. Clinton Marker Area
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 19, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 812 times since then and 161 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 19, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=122101

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 19, 2024