Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sandyville in Tuscarawas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Sandyville: The Town that Moved

 
 
Sandyville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Irick, August 21, 2018
1. Sandyville Marker
Inscription.  Sandyville was founded in 1815 by future State Senator Henry Laffer. In 1936, the 275 villagers learned that the Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District planned to control regional flooding with the construction of 14 dams including nearby Bolivar Dam. This dam would place Sandyville in a flood zone and force villagers to sell, abandon, or move their homes. Ultimately, the villagers united and decided to move Sandyville. Between August 1937 and early 1938, contractors (paid by the Conservancy District) relocated approximately 30 houses, 30 outbuildings, 2 stores, a post office, a town hall, and a restaurant (where cooking continued during the move!). The move required hard work, patience, and neighborliness, By 1938, the little village had moved one-half mile up the hill and villagers began to recreate their peaceful, pleasant surroundings for future generations.
 
Erected 2015 by Sparta Steel The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 25-79.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location.
Sandyville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Irick, August 21, 2018
2. Sandyville Marker
full view of marker, next to town sign
40° 38.427′ N, 81° 22.179′ W. Marker is in Sandyville, Ohio, in Tuscarawas County. Marker is at the intersection of Cross Roads Road NE (County Route 108) and Beckel Avenue and Sandyville Rd (County Route 107), on the right when traveling west on Cross Roads Road NE. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4207 Cross Roads Rd NE, Sandyville OH 44671, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Zoar Meeting House (approx. 3.3 miles away); Zoar Garden (approx. 3.3 miles away); Zoar Village (approx. 3.3 miles away); Zoar Town Hall / Zoar and The Ohio & Erie Canal (approx. 3.4 miles away); Zoar Cemetery (approx. 3 miles away); Ohio and Erie Canal (approx. 3.8 miles away); Magnolia Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away); Treaty of Greene Ville (approx. 4.2 miles away).
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Sandyville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Irick, August 21, 2018
3. Sandyville Marker
marker as seen from Sandyville Road, with roads signs as witness. Beckel Avenue is in the background
 

More. Search the internet for Sandyville: The Town that Moved.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 22, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 65 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 22, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement