New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First Presbyterian Church
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Erected 1963 by The New York Community Trust. (Marker Number 388.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites ⛪ series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1716.
Location. 40° 44.056′ N, 73° 59.704′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is at the intersection of 5th Avenue and West 11th Street on 5th Avenue. This marker is located in Greenwich Village. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 48 5th Avenue, New York NY 10003, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Salmagundi Club (within shouting distance of this marker); Church of the Ascension Winfield Scott House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Beatrix Farrand (about 300 feet away); Martha Graham (1894-1991) (about 400 feet away); Dawn Powell (about 400 feet away); Mark Twain (about 500 feet away); 44 West 12th Street (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
Regarding First Presbyterian Church. First Presbyterian Church is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
The first Presbyterian church in New York City was established in 1716. The congregation's first sanctuary was a small building on Wall Street. During the Revolutionary War, the British confiscated the building to use as a barracks and riding school. In 1844, the congregation moved to Fifth
Also see . . .
1. Greenwich Village, First Presbyterian Church - Flicker. First Presbyterian, established in 1716, built its first church on Wall Street in 1719. It was called "The Church of Patriots" during the struggle for American Independence. By 1840, to keep pace with its growth, the congregation chose to move to the more residential Greenwich Village. (Submitted on May 28, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
2. First Presbyterian Church -- 48 Fifth Avenue. "Daytonian in Manhattan" entry. (Submitted on April 9, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 28, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 440 times since then and 4 times this year. Last updated on August 22, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 28, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.