Monticello in Sullivan County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First Church in Monticello
— American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site —
Erected 1938 by NYS Education Department. (Marker Number 257.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites ⛪ series list.
Location. 41° 39.274′ N, 74° 41.077′ W. Marker is in Monticello, New York, in Sullivan County. Marker is at the intersection of Broadway (New York State Route 42) and Jones Street, on the left when traveling east on Broadway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 Broadway, Monticello NY 12701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of First House in Monticello (within shouting distance of this marker); St John's Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Monticello Depot (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Toll House Camp Holley (approx. 1½ miles away); Town of Thompson (approx. 3.2 miles away); Saint Josephs (approx. 4.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monticello.
Regarding Presbyterian Church. First Presbyterian Church is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
In 1808 the brothers Samuel F. and John P. Jones named their Catskill Mountain village after President Jefferson's home, and they set aside part of their "mountain of heaven" in the center of town for the county court house and a house of public worship. They deeded the land to Sullivan County which turned the plot into the site of First Presbyterian Church, the first church in the community. The congregation was organized with twelve members in 1810 by the Presbytery of Hudson. The first church on the site, built in 1828, was destroyed by
Also see . . . Google Maps 'zoom' view. (Submitted on December 20, 2009, by Tom Rue of Monticello, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2018. It was originally submitted on December 20, 2009, by Tom Rue of Monticello, New York. This page has been viewed 660 times since then and 19 times this year. Last updated on August 22, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 20, 2009, by Tom Rue of Monticello, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.