Esperance in Schoharie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Presbyterian Church Esperance, NY
(Old Stone Church)
— American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site —
Church, Esperance, N.Y.
Organized May 2, 1823
Edifice Dedicated July 4, 1824
Sheldon Jackson Received As
Member Oct. 2, 1853. Remodeled
And Rededicated Jan. 14, 1897
Erected 1932 by New York State Education Department. (Marker Number 15.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites marker series.
Location. 42° 45.621′ N, 74° 15.611′ W. Marker is in Esperance, New York, in Schoharie County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 20) and Church Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Esperance NY 12066, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Methodist Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Esperance Witch (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tory Tree Site (approx. 2.8 miles away); Grist Mill (approx. Amos Clayton (approx. 3.1 miles away); Mill Stones (approx. 3.1 miles away); Burtonville (approx. 3.1 miles away); Burton House (approx. 3.2 miles away).
Regarding The Presbyterian Church Esperance, NY. The Esperance Old Stone Presbyterian Church was built in 1824 to accommodate a society that began in 1815. On October 2, 1853 Sheldon Jackson was received as a member of that church. He went on to serve as a missionary in Alaska and is remembered there by the Sheldon Jackson College and the Museum of Sitka. This church is still in active service. The church also one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
The Esperance Presbyterian Church was the first Christian congregation in the village of Esperance, organized in 1823. The Old Stone Church, the congregation's present building, was erected in 1824. Sheldon Jackson (1834-1909), Presbyterian missionary and church
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
More. Search the internet for The Presbyterian Church Esperance, NY.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 686 times since then and 32 times this year. Last updated on August 22, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 17, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 4. submitted on May 1, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 5. submitted on May 29, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on November 17, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 13. submitted on May 1, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19. submitted on November 17, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.