Avco-Lycoming Metal Trades Center
Pennsylvania College of Technology History Trail Stop 13
— 1914 • Centennial • 2014 —
Constructed in 1980
The Avco-Lycoming Metal Trades Center, a welding and metal trades instructional laboratory, is positioned at the northwest end of a pedestrian mall that runs south from West Third Street through the heart of the campus.
The center is named for a Williamsport-based industry with a world-wide reputation for the quality of its aircraft engines. The company has a nearly century-old partnership with the institution, since its earliest days of operation as Williamsport Technical Institute.
The company for which the building is named (known today as Lycoming Engines) built vehicle engines for World War I and aircraft engines for World War II. Over the years, it has built more than 325,000 piston aircraft engines, powering more than half the world's general aviation fleet.
Today, Penn College is the only authorized training site for service of the Lycoming piston engine. Aircraft owners and operators from around the world attend classes at Penn College's Lumley Aviation Center.
For decades, this facility has served the needs of the region's primary industries, including the natural
Inside the Metal Trades Center (MTC)
• Welding lab
• Robotic welder
• Plasma cutter
[Marker timeline images, from left to right]
• South of the Metal Trades Center in a former industrial complex, built in 1931-42, that now serves as laboratory space for machining, electrical, and other Penn College programs.
• Welding processes have evolved over the last 100 years.
• Formerly on this site, at the corner of West Third and Susquehanna Streets, was the Strailey Building, which once housed a variety of Williamsport Area Community College offices and services.
• A rededication in 2010 celebrated the expansion of the welding facility.
[School's centennial timeline]
1914 - Williamsport Area School District Adult Education
1941 - Williamsport Technical Institute
1965 - Williamsport Area Community College
1989 - Pennsylvania College of Technology
Erected 2014 by Pennsylvania College of Technology.
Location. 41° 14.207′ N, 77° 1.582′ W. Marker is in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, in Lycoming County. Marker and building are on the Pennsylvania College of Technology campus, along the pedestrian mall south of the intersection of 3rd
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Student Bodies (within shouting distance of this marker); Hager Lifelong Education Center (within shouting distance of this marker); Bardo Gymnasium (within shouting distance of this marker); Centennial Mosaic (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Klump Academic Center (about 300 feet away); Carl Building Technologies Center (about 400 feet away); Le Jeune Chef (about 400 feet away); College Avenue Labs (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsport.
Also see . . . Penn College History Trail. (Submitted on August 22, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Air & Space • Education • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for Avco-Lycoming Metal Trades Center.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 22, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 60 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 22, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on July 27, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.